My photo
Hinglish (n): A combination of Hindi (and other Indian languages) and English generally spoken by people who live in urban India. Interestingly, although there are very few self-proclaimed Hinglish speakers, it is a language that is evolving faster than more widely recognized dialects. Observers of this evolution are frequently amused, irritated or upset by the resultant expressions. We, part of a fast-dwindling minority of Indian, first-language English speakers, share our reflections here.

Saturday 26 February 2011

O is for office

Hinglish speakers' use of the word office can make it next to impossible for their schedules to be deciphered by non-Hinglish speakers.


For instance, have you ever been told that someone is going to office? I am always tempted to ask questions like, "And where exactly will you office?" and, "For what will you office?" I suppose if "I am going to a/the shop" and, "I am going to shop" can both be correct, then it is terribly unfair that words like office have to always be preceded by an article or a possessive determiner.
 
At other times, the word may continue to be used as a noun but with an entirely different connotation. In this situation, the sentence may go something like this, "I will do it in office." And no, they do not mean that they will fight for a noble cause while serving a term as the illustrious (insert appropriate title) of some large business or country. Unlike some Presidents of the United States who, while in office, have achieved some great things, the Hinglish speaker who will do something in office means that he will complete a (mundane) task while at his/her place of work.

Sometimes, people will even tell you that they have office.  This can be used in a sentence as follows, "I cannot see you tomorrow, it is Monday so I have office." People say they have office like they have a fever or Seinfeld on DVD, but what they really mean is that they have to go to work.

The word office is clearly extremely important in the current Indian context, since almost everyone spends some time at an office, so non Hinglish speakers should remember the following things while trying to make plans around someone else's schedule:
"I'm going to office," means, "I'm going to the/my office."
"I will do it in office," means, "I will complete the task when I get to my/the office."
"I have office tomorrow," means, "I need to go to work tomorrow."

No comments:

Post a Comment